这个星期除了每天八小时正常工作外,我星期三要去讲演,星期四要去教课。星期五,我纽约的阿姨要来玩。那么多的事,真要把我给忙死了。
2. In fact, the more I use the bike, the more weight I seem to put on, despite following the instruction manual carefully. 事实上,我练得越多,我好像越胖,尽管我严格遵照操作指南来做。
the + 比较级+(其他部分), the +比较级+(其他部分), 表示越......就越......。这里的"比较级"既可以是单音节/双音节词,如early, soon,那么结构就相应的应该为the earlier ..., the sooner, 也可以是多音节/部分双音节词,如difficult,相应的结构就应该是the more difficult, the ...
The more you give, the happier you become! 你付出越多,你感觉越幸福。
The more I miss you, the more I love you! 我越是想你,就越爱你。
The more angry he became, the more she laughed at him. 他越生气,她就越笑他。
The earlier (you come here), the better (it is). 你来得越早越好。
The more difficult the task is, the more money we will need. 任务越难,需要的钱就越多。
The more times you see an ad the more you remember it. 一个广告你见的次数越多,你就越容易记住它。
despite prep. 不管,尽管
He came to the meeting despite his illness. 尽管生病,他还是来参加会议。
Demand for these books is high, despite their high price. 尽管这些书价钱昂贵,对他们的需求仍然很高。
Despite wanting to see him again, she refused to reply to his letters. 她尽管很想再见到他, 但却不愿给他回信。
Despite what others say, I think he's a very nice chap. 不管别人怎么说, 我仍认为他这个人很好。
II. 文化背景知识
Do You Stand Up for Yourself Enough?
When you feel you've been wronged, do you confront the offenders or do you take the path of least resistance and let them walk all over you? Take this quiz to see if you're doing a good job watching your own back.