or rather或者更确切地说
(当纠正已说过的话或欲使其确切时)
I borrowed some books rather than novels.
我借了几本书,都不是小说。
He has no other choice than to give in.
他毫无选择,只有投降。
注意:would rather和would sooner可以接宾语从句,从句中常用虚拟语气,谓语动词用过去时形式表示现在和将来的内容,用过去完成时形式表示过去的内容。如:
I'd rather you went home now.我倒宁愿你现在就回家。
I would rather you came tomorrow.我宁愿你明天来。
I would rather you had stayed at home last night.
我宁愿你昨天晚上待在家里。
3. Excited by his move to London, Pip can hardly wait to begin his new life.
兴奋地搬到伦敦之后,皮普迫不及待地开始了新的生活。
【巧解句构】这是一个由分词短语excited by his move to London作状语的简单句,句中can hardly wait to do sth.表示急切地/迫不及待地干某事。
【要点剖析】过去分词短语可以作时间状语、原因状语、条件状语、伴随状语、方式状语等,如:
Born into a poor family, he had only two years of schooling.
他出身于贫寒家庭,只受了两年教育。(原因状语)
Seen from the hill, the city looks beautiful.
从山上往下看,这个城市很漂亮。(时间/方式状语)
Given a chance, I can surprise the world.(条件状语)
给我一个机会,我会使整个世界惊讶。
The teacher came into the classroom, followed by some students.(伴随状语)
老师走进了教室,后面跟着一些学生。
【拓展延伸】1)分词作状语时,分词的逻辑主语必须与句子主语一致并形成一定的逻辑关系,否则不能使用分词作状语。但有些分词短语常用作独立成分,其形式的选择不受上、下文主语的逻辑关系影响。如:
Generally speaking, boys are more interested in such activities than girls.
一般说来,男孩比女孩更对这类活动感兴趣。
Judging from his accent, he must be from the south.
听他的口音他必定是南方人。
Supposing (Suppose) he is absent, what shall we do?
假使他不在,我们怎么办?
Granting (Granted) that you've made some progress you should be modest.
即使你有一些进步也要谦虚。
2)can't wait/can hardly wait: used when you are emphasizing that sb. is very excited about sth. or keen to do it.迫不及待......如:
The children can't wait for Christmas to come.
孩子们等圣诞节都等不及了。
常见wait短语结构:
keep sb. waiting让人久等;使人耽搁
wait and see耐心等待,等着瞧